OpenSimulator is a open-source version of Second Life's server software that emulates much of Second Life's functionality and in some ways, goes beyond it. Earlier this year, I moth-balled my Monolith project in favor of my Nexus project - it's semantic replacement and then some. But I decided to visit my old friend Monolith again and wanted to see how difficult it would be to port it to OpenSimulator.
It took a couple of hours to do, but as you can see, it works! :-) Most of the time I spent on it was removing code that I wrote in Monolith to bypass many of Second Life's, Linden Lab-imposed restrictions, namely:
1) object creation limits 15,000 primitives per region
2) # of calls to llRezObject function (gray goo wall)
3) http call data cap (Linden Lab only allows 2048 bytes per http call)
4) http call rate (the # of http calls in any period per script is also capped)
The speed enhancements were no longer needed since none of the above is limited in OpenSimulator. The limit on the number of primitives in a region appears to be only limited by the hardware on which the OpenSimulator is executed. There were some limits in OpenSimulator that prevented a few other tricks I do from working, but I removed these by editing the OpenSimulator.ini file. Namely, the object movement limit (10M max by default) and the # of llListeners were also limited in OpenSimulator, again, a simple edit to the INI file and they were gone.
My current installation of OpenSimulator is running on Windows XP within a virtual machine using VMware workstation 7.X. The hardware specifications for the virtual machine are 4 cores and 4GB RAM with a 50GB disk. The underlying machine is an 4Ghz over-clocked I7 with a RAID-10 disk system.
I will also be porting my Nexus project to OpenSimulator since I am interested in visualizing a huge number of RDF triples far more than the 15,000 primitive limit of Second Life will allow. I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push OpenSimulator.